History of Market at Main
Emily Anne Taylor
Market at Main opened in 2009, after almost a year of extensive renovations to the historic building. Located at 902 and 904 Main Street, the structure has been home to many well-known businesses during the past century. Market at Main is actually situated in what were originally two buildings. The entrance side of the restaurant (904 Main Street) was built in 1886, while the lunch counter side (902 Main Street) was constructed in 1907.
In 1899, Joseph Cohn’s Sons Clothiers occupied the 904 Main Street structure. In 1907, Lazarus-Goodman Company Wholesale Liquor moved into the newly built 902 Main Street building. In 1912, the two buildings housed F.W. Woolworth and Company, which operated there for the next 20 years. Kresge’s Department Store moved into the space in 1933 and operated until 1968. A Revco drug store occupied the buildings until 1986, when the name was changed to CVS. The CVS store operated until 2007. Market at Main opened in late 2009.
Prior to opening, the two buildings were gutted and re-built to their former grandeur. Wooden floors, made from the wide planks of a 19th century Downtown Lynchburg riverfront tobacco warehouse, replaced the industrial drug store tiles. The front counter was designed from vintage wood to resemble a typical dry goods counter from the 1800s. When the dropped ceilings were removed, the original pressed tin panels were revealed, in need of little more than a paint job. The fans were selected based on photos from 1920s-era general stores. Old-fashioned iron-patina light fixtures were installed, along with sconces typical of the building’s time frame. And, heavy wooden double doors were chosen for the entrance to create the original look and feel of the Main Street storefront.
2016 Lynchburg Living Best Breakfast
2016 News & Advance Readers' Choice Best Breakfast